Les Croupiers Running Club Forum

Home | Results
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

roy silver
#1 Posted : 24 November 2014 20:18:19(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Fancy a gentle 20 mile jog round the tracks and trails of the BB,s this Saturday night?
Starting on the Brecon canal in Talybont at 1800hrs.
Full moon this w/e but you will still need a head torch plus waterproof kit, map and compass, interested !!
Entry on day till 1700hrs

Richard Self Offline
#2 Posted : 25 November 2014 11:36:51(UTC)
Richard Self

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 37 post(s)
Does anyone remember the year we had this on the off road championship? We got everyone round alive, but only just. This is a very cold and lonely race. Bring enough kit for a night on the hills.

Blorringe sounds a better bet.
roy silver
#3 Posted : 25 November 2014 20:06:41(UTC)

Richard when your at the back of the field (like I am) its always cold and lonely

PS Blorenge is a good alternative

Edited by user 25 November 2014 20:08:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Clive Osmond Offline
#4 Posted : 25 November 2014 21:06:45(UTC)
Clive Osmond

Groups: Approved, Les Croupiers member

Has liked: 93 post(s)
I did this race the year that it was included in the club championship and I would recommend that you have some experience in navigation before attempting it. I got separated a number of times and had to wait for the runner behind to catch me up so that I could be sure I was going the right way. A mile from the finish we had to shout to a group who were going completely the wrong way having missed the turn off. They were lucky we saw them. It was a bitterly cold and windy night and started snowing as the race started. At one point I took my gloves off to get a jelly baby from an emergency supply and my hands got cold so quickly that I had difficulty putting them back on as they had lost feeling. Not a race for the faint hearted. Good luck Roy.
 1 user liked this post.
Michael H Davies on 26/11/2014(UTC)
roy silver
#5 Posted : 02 December 2014 20:26:41(UTC)

Well that was fun !
Pleasant evening weather wise, only half the course was covered in mist which got thicker as you progressed through out the evening, not really cold as long as you kept moving.
And as Richard prophesised " it is a lonely race " from mile 6 to mile 17 I saw no one, not a torch light, not a star, just my own light about 4 feet in front of me, it was so dark and misty I fell over 5 times, full on, out stretched ones, that saw the front of me looking like a " bog monster ".
At one of the check points a cup of hot tea was proffered, which was drank far to quickly resulting in it being spat back out, and not having the patience to wait for another ran off, coughing and cursing to one self.
Also "always listen to the briefing" I did not and consequently had to crawl for 50 odd metres through mud under some fallen trees, when a pathway only a few feet to my right had been made Doh !
Would I do this race again? Dam right I would and as my fellow club runner Dave E Williams said at the end " We will be back next year"